Friday 28 August 2015

Mini Reivews: The Princess Diaries Books 4-7

Because I apparently don't care if my librarian thinks I have the reading taste of a twelve year old (read what you love no matter what, right?), I recently checked out books four to seven of the Princes Diaries from my local library. I read these books when I was in year seven (that's either sixth or eighth grade for people in the US. I never know which. Ages 11-12, if that helps) and because an eleventh book was released recently I decided to give them a reread. Still, I wander what my new history teacher would say if I was procrastinating my research on Russian history to read about a melodramatic fifteen year old princess who lives in New York. Maybe I won't tell them,

You can find my reviews for the second and third books here and here, but I found that I was getting quite repetitive in what I was saying, hence why I decided to do mini reviews instead.

Pages: 197
Date Finished: 25.08.15
Rating: 3/5
I didn't really enjoy this one as much as the first three. Don't get me wrong, I did like it, but nothing much really happened. The main conflict focussed on Mia being terrified that Michael, her boyfriend, was going to break up with her because she was going to have to cancel their first proper date because she had to go to a ball with her Grandmother. I'm sorry, but what? Whilst Mia's insecurities make her charming, this one was verging on whiny. Just a heads up: no one worth dating will brake up with you because you buy them the wrong birthday gift.

That aside, there were some really great elements in this book. Once again the humour was on point, and I loved the pop culture references (Mia's favourite movies are Star Wars and Dirty Dancing which just happen to be two of mine). Though, Mia said that in Buffy, the titular character belonged with Angel. Um, no. Spike all the way. I'm getting sidetracked. The mentions of Jane Eyre, one of my favourite books, were also great. Another thing I loved was the few meta references the book made about its movie.
Pages: 238
Date Finished: 25.08.15
Rating: 3.5/5
I read this one directly after the fourth book, yet again in one sitting (well, aside to have dinner). Whilst I thought it better than the first book, I still found it to be a little too overdramatic. The main conflict of the plot resides in several elements, one of them being how distraught Mia is that Michael doesn't want to go to his own Senior Prom, and therefore can't invite her. I understand that prom is a lot to get excited about (you don't know how long I spent trying to tame my hair for mine), but considering she'll have her own prom when she's a senior it didn't seem like that big a deal. Maybe that's just me, but she was beginning to get a little whiny again, especially when the prom issue eclipsed all the other happenings.

One thing I did love was the situation with Grandmere and her dog, Rommell, causing a strike across most of New York. The way that unfolded was hilarious. Yet again the book in its entirety caused me to laugh out loud, and there were passages that I just loved. This one in particular:
"Instead, she threw my Fiesta Giles action figure--the one of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's watcher, Giles, in a sombrero--against the wall! I tried to explain to her that he is a collectors item and worth nearly twice what I paid for him, but she was fully unappreciative of my lecture. She just went, 'Get me a hot water with lemon and honey or I shall destroy all of your Bippy the Monster Catcher characters!"

Side note: where do I get a Fiesta Giles action figure?

Don't get me wrong, I did really enjoy this book, but yet again I just wanted more. Even if I do ship Michael and Mia it's starting to feel a little flat and I just want to see more of it. Still, I am glad that I'm rereading this series. It's just cute, light hearted fun.

Pages: 256
Date Read: 26.08.15
Rating: 3.75/5
Okay, so I definitely enjoyed this book more than the fourth and fifth ones, though yet again there were a few things that bugged me. I'll start with the positives, though. Sixsational was fast paced, hilarious, and began to feel a little more grown up compared to the other books. The main issues that Mia is dealing with in this volume is firstly the fact that Lily forced her to run for student president against Lana (something she seriously didn't want to do), and secondly that she's worried that Michael expects her to have sex with him now he's encouraged (again, something she doesn't want to do).

My favourite scene in this book was when Mia was delivering her speech for the student president elections. It was fabulous, and quite frankly shows how far she's come regarding character development. Whilst there weren't as many hilarious one liners in this book, the way the problems escalated were downright hilarious. Michael was another favourite part of this book. I really do love that guy. And, yet again, the meta references were pretty cool.

Now unfortunately to the problems I had. Yet again I wanted more, and I did feel that it resolved far too well. Also, I didn't like how the theme of sex was handled. I know it may just be Mia and Tina's melodramaticness (is that a word?), but losing your virginity being described as giving "the gift of my flower" (by Tina) seems a bit stupid. Saying that, I did like how Mia was adamant on waiting until she was ready, and that Michael understood.

Still, I am looking forward to reading book seven once I've, you know, cooked dinner (she says whilst eating hardboiled sweets).

Pages: 285
Date Read: 28.08.15
Rating: 3.8/5
Okay, for me this is where the series really gets started. We finally get to meet J.P. (who I don't like because he isn't, you know, Michael), the issues dealt with in the book became a little more grown up and some of the darker moments really hit home. Well, I say darker moments. They weren't dark at all, but compared to the earlier books any real drama compared to melodrama were welcome additions to this series. Despite all that, this book really is just light-hearted fun.

I enjoyed this a teensy bit more than the sixth one, but definitely not as much as the third (which is my favourite so far). Yet again there were certain points which made me laugh out loud and whilst I would like more one liners, the fact that Mia put Buffy Summers (AKA my hero) at number fifteen of the people she loves most in the world made me all happy inside. Buffy goes a long way, people. Always remember that.

Honestly I wasn't really buying the musical aspects of this book. I really did like the storyline with Lily and Michael's parents, but for me the main driving force that's keeping me reading these books is the relationship between Michael and Mia (especially when the ending was so cute). Despite knowing what happens in later books and how the series ends I ship it so bad. Whilst I genuinely do enjoy this series, I can't help but wonder if I'd feel the same way without their relationship. Also, the fact that Mia thinks that every single mistake will cause Michael to break up with her is just a little unrealistic.

It's kind of stupid how invested I'm getting in this series even though I haven't loved it since book three, but there is something to be said for how much I care about the characters, goddammit. Yes, not all of them are developed, and yes they're a bit ridiculous. That doesn't change anything. So to preserve my own sanity, I know I'm definitely going to marathon the last three books when I manage to get my hands on them. And then I'm finally going to be able to read Royal Wedding (book eleven). Hurrah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS